Surprising stats for 2019 show that Macs are almost twice as vulnerable as Windows PCs to malware threats
Antivirus company Malwarebytes has published a detailed report on the state of malware in 2019.
One shocking finding is that threats for macOS shot up by 400% on the previous year. Windows PCs averaged 5.7 threats per device over the year, compared to 11 on Macs – a record figure for the OS.
Back in 2018, the number of macOS threats per device was a much lower 4.8.
The sharp rise in 2019 can mostly be attributed to adware designed for macOS such as NewTab, which had close to 30 million downloads. Other culprits are fake installers for browser addons and apps promising to protect, clean, or fine tune your Mac.
Intrusions were also made because macOS passwords were identical to those leaked in online password breaches, allowing hackers to gain remote access.
Malware authors will continue to target Macs as long as the market share increases and they are known to be largely unprotected.
The time has come to rethink the old line about Macs not getting viruses!
What can you do to protect your Mac from malware?
Need Help with Mac Support in Japan?
The METHOD IT team in Tokyo has been working with Macs for 20+ years. We can help with installation, upgrades, and troubleshooting for all Apple products with our fast and friendly English-Japanese bilingual support.
We provide Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions for safely and securely deploying Apple hardware in business environments of all sizes.
We procure licenses for Mac antivirus / anti-malware software in bulk for your organization in Japan.
We perform security audits of all your Mac and Windows devices and office network.
We survey and improve your Wi-Fi security, and introduce monitoring of all device activity over the Internet in your office.
- As more and more of us look set to work remotely for the long term, we all need a group chat platform that is reliable, …
- Shop for the latest laptops, desktops, network gear, peripherals, and software licenses in Japan with IT service addons. Plus the latest tech tips and news …
- Microsoft released an all-new, cross-platform version of the Edge browser via Windows Update and as a standalone app on January 15, 2020. Why so important? …
- Apple has officially released macOS Catalina (version 10.15). Here's our pick of the best new features, advice for those who should hold off upgrading, and …
- Five essential Microsoft apps for Office 365 users on the move - from exciting new arrival Whiteboard to the indispensable Teams and more