The shiny, shiny 4.7 inch iPhone 6 and jumbo-sized 5.5 inch iPhone 6 Plus are here, flagship devices for the new iOS 8. This major update to iOS is also available for download on older iPhones and iPads now. Is it worth upgrading? What are the new features? Does it play nice with the enterprise? Maybe you’re thinking about getting an iPhone 6? Check out some of the best resources and opinions from around the Web.
UPDATE 9/27: The new iOS 8.0.2 update solves all previous issues and adds numerous other bug fixes. HealthKit apps are now available in the App Store after this update.
UPDATE 9/25: Apple has pulled the first update iOS 8.0.1 following reports of users losing their cellphone service. Do not update to 8.0.1. If you have already done this, Business Insider has posted a guide : How To Fix Your iPhone If It Got Ruined By The iOS 8 Update
New in iOS 8
iOS 8 isn’t as drastic a leap as the switch from iOS 6 to 7 – the visual style of iOS 7 goes relatively unchanged this time round – but there are many compelling reasons to upgrade including Apple’s take on widgets in the Notification Center, QuickType word suggestions, the ability to install third-party keyboards, Continuity between your Mac and iOS devices, Extensions which allow for improved communication between apps, and personal health data aggregation with HealthKit and the Health app.
A video presentation (32 mins) of what’s new in iOS 8 from this June’s Apple event
- The official lowdown – the Apple showcase site for the new features of iOS 8
- Deep-dive review: iOS 8 packs some snappy new features
- iOS 8 Review by Tom’s Guide
- iOS 8: The best new features, plus a few hidden gems you might not have found yet
- 25 Things You Can Do On iOS 8 That You Couldn’t Do On iOS 7
- Get to know iOS 8: Customize your Notification Center with handy new widgets
- Get to know iOS 8: How Extensions work and why they matter to you
- A deep dive into iOS 8 extensions: It’s all about new workflows
- Health App could be a life saver
- Find your way around the new features with the official ‘iPhone User Guide for iOS 8’, available on iBooks
iOS 8 Shines in New Apps
Many apps making use of the new features in iOS 8 are already available –
- These are the apps you want to try on your new iPhone
- 5 Apps That Spotlight Valuable New iOS 8 Features
- Microsoft OneNote announces the Share extension for iOS 8
- Skype for iOS 8 Adds Interactive Notifications
- iOS 8: The Best Apple Keyboard Replacements
- List of Third-Party Keyboards Now Available for iOS 8 Users
- Google Chrome gets iOS 8 support for third-party app extensions
iOS 8 for Business
For special consideration if you’re deploying iOS devices in your workplace –
- How IT departments should prepare for iOS 8
- Get to know iOS 8: Why business users (and IT departments) will be happy
- How companies should plan for iOS 8, Yosemite, and iCloud Drive
- How iOS 8 makes email, contacts, and calendars work better
- iOS 8 Adds Serious Security, Privacy Improvements
- Here are the limits of Apple’s iOS 8 privacy features
When Yosemite, the next free upgrade to OS X, is released late October, you’ll see better integration between your Mac and iOS devices thanks to Continuity. You can answer calls from a nearby iPhone on your Mac and pass tasks in progress from your iOS devices to your Mac and back again.
Yosemite also has a visual style very similar to iOS 7, bringing the look and feel of Mac and mobile devices together.
Find out more –
- iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Connected like never before.
- Apple’s Continuity tack brings ubiquitous computing to Yosemite and iOS 8
Should I Upgrade?
While iOS 8 can be installed on devices as old as iPhone 4S and iPad 2, initial reports are suggesting it might be worth waiting for the first update to the OS before upgrading your current iPhone or iPad.
- Users frustrated by Apple iOS update
- iOS 8 problems not so magical: Slow, Laggy, Bloaty, Crashy, Buggy, Drainy and Doc
And when you decide to take the plunge –
- What to expect when upgrading to iOS 8
- How to free up space on your iPhone to make way for iOS 8
- How to prepare for the iOS 8 upgrade
iPhone 6 Reviews
Considering a new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus? Here are some of the best reviews online –
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Reviews: Apple Gets A Big Thumbs Up (Forbes)
- iPhone 6 review: thinner, faster and slightly cheaper (The Guardian)
- iPhone 6 Plus Review: The First Truly Well-Designed Big Smartphone (TechCrunch)
- Review and Video: With Big New iPhones, It’s What’s Inside That Counts (New York Times)
- iPhone 6 review – Giving the people what they want (The Verge)
- How to Tell If the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus Is Right For You (CIO)
Phablet i Ain’t
Despite the size of the new iPhones, have you noticed how the term ‘phablet’ is distinctly absent from all promotions and news? Where did that nasty word come from, what’s in its future, and why isn’t the iPhone 6 one?